The Points Guy recently posted a list of links to all of the major airlines’ award charts (showing how many miles you will in each frequent flyer program to book the award ticket you want). This is an excellent resource. I recommend all frequent flyers bookmark this page. I certainly will.
There’s been a plethora of posts by various people over the past few days. This seems like a natural time to assess the past year if you’ve been in the game, and to plan out next year’s strategy (or in some of your cases, first plunge). Generally, everyone has focused on the Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card, and the AMEX SPG card as part of their past and future strategies. Enjoy the links below, they all contain very useful and valuable information! As always, with any of these promotions and/or credit cards, do your research, and feel free to send me questions or post on flyertalk/milepoint in the appropriate places.
- The Points Guy reviewing his travel and miles collecting year
- Mommy Points with a review of 2011 and goals for 2012
- Mommy Points with a tally of all the points she’s collected the past year
- Frugal Travel Guy with a possible 2012 credit card churning schedule for miles – Highly recommended post for beginners
- Lucky on 2012 credit card spend strategy
- The Points Guy answers a question about cancelling credit cards
- The Points Guy also with posts about current credit card inventory and about future credit card applications
- Mommy Points with a post about maximizing your regular credit card spend, aimed at those of us who don’t have tons of business-related/reimbursable expenses to put on credit cards, but only our regular income.
Wow I think that’s it…I didn’t quite realize how many links there would be to post. I think with all the information being generated, the main message is to review all of the credit cards and spending strategies that are popular now, and then to start applying and get in the game! It’s a New Year’s resolution for all of you without one thus far 🙂
Over the past couple days, I’ve ran across a few interesting articles from The Points Guy (TPG).
He has been running a series about maximizing airlines elite status, with the most recent article covering mid-tier elite status I think mid-tier is the highest realistically attainable status if you’re doing mostly personal travel, so this article is worth checking out for what this might be worth to you. The series also includes an introduction to elite status and mileage runs (where people fly on low fares purely to earn miles), an article on the value of the different tiers of elite status, as well as a couple of other articles. I definitely recommend reading these! But I will warn you, the articles are a bit long.
Additional, TPG has a Reader Question post about the value of American Express Membership Rewards points. The article demonstrates some of the thought process behind valuing miles/points, and how your redemption choices affect that value. Also, the article eventually goes into cash back cards, and there’s a long list of cash back credit cards at the end of it.